Read about the fantastic achievements of 16 athletes or teams from 10 nations which are nominated for The Orienteering Achievement of 2016. Then post your votes for your favourites – and be part of the drawing for prizes worth 5000 Euros!
Vote here by December 12th:
The stories behind the medals and the achievements is what makes the sport truly fascinating
Winning a Gold medal at the World Championships is always a great achievement – but sometimes winning a Bronze medal can be an even bigger achievement, or even a Top 10 result – based on what your starting point was. The stories behind the medals and the great achievements is what makes the sport truly fascinating! In “The Orienteering Achievement of the Year” these stories are highlighted – to make it possible to get a background for the amazing achievements.
It is great for the sport to see excellent nominations for athletes from nations which are traditionally not on top of the result lists in international orienteering, like Belarus, Canada, Moldova and New Zealand. All these athletes have done exceptional orienteering achievements in 2016 – along with the nominated athletes from the more established top nations in orienteering Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Russia.
It is great for the sport to see excellent nominations for athletes from nations which are traditionally not on top of the result lists in international orienteering, like Belarus, Canada, Moldova and New Zealand.
The annual poll to find the best Orienteering Achievements of the year is organized by the major source for international orienteering news on the Internet – World of O.
Note that there were so many fantastic orienteering achievements this year – highlighted in the suggested nominations by World of O’s readers – that several who would have really deserved a nomination could not be included this year either.
Great Sponsorprizes for “Lucky voters”!
Sponsors for the Orienteering Achievement of 2016 are Five + Five days of Sicily (Italy), Scottish 6 Days (Scotland), Durmitor Orienteering Challenge (Montenegro), Aguiar da Beira “O” Meeting (Portugal), Antalya Orienteering Festival (Turkey), OOCup (Slovenia), Wawel Cup (Poland), Lipica Open (Slovenia) and Danish Spring (Denmark). See all details about the sponsor in the sponsor section below (Hint: Scroll down and take a look to see which prize you want to win as you can mark it when you vote – there are again many great prizes this year!).
Prizes valued to more than 5000 Euro are drawn among lucky voters & the ones suggesting nominations. The rules are as follows:
- A person can only vote once in each of the categories (if several people share one internet connection, only one can vote, as the IP address is used to identify the voter along with the email-address of the voter).
- Prizes from our sponsors will be drawn among all people voting.
- In addition some sponsor prizes will be drawn among the ones suggesting GOOD nomination texts. Among all really good nomination texts, we will draw one or two of the great sponsor prizes (we had many good nomination texts this year – more than usual!).
- The winners will be made public after the poll closes at World of O.
On December 7th, all nominees are presented at World of O. The winner is decided in a vote amongst all the readers of World of O between December 7th and December 12th.
Spread the news
Help making the poll as representative for the international orienteering community as possible! Spread the news about the poll, by publishing an article about the election on your website, and encourage people participating. Please use this link:
Of all orienteering related websites with on average more than 50 visitors/day who link to the poll after it has been opened for voting, three websites will be drawn who will get a free “Sponsored Link” at World of O. Websites with on average more than 200 visitors/day will count triple when linking to the poll. Send an email to Jan@Kocbach.net or add a comment below with the sites address if you want to be part of this draw for free sponsored links. Sponsored links may be to any orienteering related page or product – must not necessarily be the website linking. [PS!Facebook pages linking to the poll will be considered on a per-case basis if they have significant likes/interaction related to the poll – please add a comment below with link to the Facebook page]
These images may be used when writing about the poll:
Event sponsor: Five + Five days of Sicily, October 1st – 13th 2017
- Prize offered: Package for 2 people consisting in accommodation half board and entry fee for the second week of Five + Five days of Sicily – October 2017. Value 1510 euro. Transferable to other persons.
- 10 stages to discover all Sicily! First week from 1st to 6th October on the east coast, second week from 8th to 13th October on the west coast of this beautiful sunny Italian island! Read more at www.orienteering.it and facebook.com/pwtorienteering.
Event sponsor: Scottish 6 Days. July 30th – August 5th 2017
- Prize offered: Package for 2 people consisting of Package for 2 people consisting of free entry for the complete Scottish 6 Days 2017, including accommodation in a multi person room (4 or 8 beds) at the hostel in Ballatar (which Scottish 6 Days has booked completely; the accommodation is 300 m from event centre and main shops in Ballater, 400m to bus pick-up to events which is free if booked online at time of entry). Value about 670 Euro. Transferable to other persons.
- More information: The 21st Scottish 6-day event is being held in Royal Deeside between the 30th July and 5thAugust 2017. This will be the 4th time the 6-Days has come to Deeside (1983, 1993, 2005) and the event will use some of our best areas with a variety of terrain, superb arenas and car parking and stunning views to the hills and mountains around Deeside. Read more at www.scottish6days.com
Event sponsor: Durmitor Orienteering Challenge. August 24th – 27th 2017
- Prize offered: 2 packages, each for 2 people. Each package consists of: Entry for 4 competitions (3 of them WRE competitions), accommodation for 4 nights in bungalows, one training map, plus special Event T-shirt. Value about 620 Euro, transferable to other persons.
- More information. Orienteering in Montenegro will be an unforgettable experience. The Durmitor Orienteering Challenge is co-organized with the South East European Orienteering Championships, and three of the four races are World Ranking events. Read more at www.dochallenge.me.
Event sponsor: Aguiar da Beira “O” Meeting 2017. March 3rd – 5th 2017
- Prize offered: Aguiar da Beira “O” Meeting 2017 Competition Package for 2 persons – including entry to 3 events (Middle WRE, Sprint WRE, Long Distance and Model Event), 5 nights accommodation and a 4-map package for each person to train around the event area. Value about 535 Euro. Transferable to other persons.
- ABOM 2017 will be held from 3 to 5 March on one of the best Portuguese terrains. High quality mapmaking and amazing terrains are waiting for you! More info at: abom2017.ori-
Event sponsor: Antalya Orienteering Festival 2017. October 29th October – November 5th 2017
- Prize offered: One big Antalya Orienteering Festival package for one person: Accommodation + Entry for all 5 races + All Transfers. Value about 500 Euro. Transferable to other person.
- Antalya Orienteering Festival will be held for the 3rd time in Antalya, Turkey. We provide 5 different terrains and challenging courses, good maps and good weather for orienteering holiday. See more at www.antalyaofest.com
Event sponsor: OOCup 2017. July 24th – July 28th 2017
- Prize offered: 2 packages – each for 2 people – consisting of: Entry for the complete 5 days OOCup competition plus OOCup 2017 T-shirt for each competitor. Value 325 euro. Transferable to other persons.
- OOCup is a 5 Day orienteering event organized annually in Slovenia. OOCup 2017 will offer new maps in great, technical forests close to Ljubljana – city, seaside, caves and mountains all within driving distance. The event is famous for its Karst orienteering and excellent combination of orienteering and holidays. More at oocup.com.
Event sponsor: Wawel Cup 2017. July 5th – 9th 2017
- Prize offered: Package for 2 people consisting of free entry to complete 5 Day Wawel Cup competition, the popular Wawel Cup T-shirt, and accommodation. Value about 325 Euro. Transferable to other persons.
- More information: Two stages will be held in Olkusz were running through medieval post-mine pits might be quite an exam for orienteering skills. Other stages are in the exceptional Bledowska Desert and in rocky Jaroszowiec. Read more at wawelcup.pl.
Event sponsor: Lipica Open 2017. March 11th – 15th 2017
- Prize offered: 2 packages – each for 2 people – consisting of: Entry to complete 5 Day Lipica Open competition + hard floor accommodation in Postojna. Value about 320 euro. Transferable to other persons.
- In 2017 Lipica open will again be organized as a 5 day event – and again some great terrains! Training conditions in this part of Europe are now better than ever – both on forest maps and on sprint maps of nice little towns on the Adriatic coast! More at www.lipicaopen.com
Event sponsor: Danish Spring. March 24th – 26th 2017
- Prize offered: Package for 2 people consisting in free start in all three competitions and 2 nights in Hostel. Value about 280 Euro. Transferable to other persons.
- More information. Feel the flow in the early spring forest of North Sealand in Denmark and get part of the cool competition in a great atmosphere! Three World Ranking Events, with classes for all ages and levels. Highly relevant terrain for WMOC 2018 in the same area and also for WOC 2017 in Estonia. Easy access to and nice accommodations in “Denmark’s Royal Retreat”. Ideal for your club camp. Get it all at www.danishspring.dk