… has a central place in the Top 10 list in the 2013 edition of “Course of the Year” – with (at least) 4 courses in the Top 10. The winner in “Course of the Year 2013″ will be revealed as soon as the interview with the course setter is ready ; today the places 4 to 10 are revealed.
In 4th spot we find WOC Sprint – probably the most artificially built “WOC terrain” in history – with 616 meters of fences set up just for this race. Further down on the Top 10 list we find two more WOC races (middle qualification and final), Antalya O-days, JWOC middle and Kratov’s O-Labyrinth.
Curious about Top 3? Wait and see!
Course of the Year 2013: Results
|3. ???????????????????||4. WOC Sprint Men
Comment: There is no arguing that lot of work was put into the WOC sprint course. In addition to the usual course setting, there were total of 47 fences which made total length of 616 meters. Siegfried Bakelants suggested this course, and his comment was that “Because this is the beginning of the Belgians in orienteering! Yannick Michiels gave Belgium the best result ever in a WOC and more Belgians will follow the next years and do even better!”
|5. WOC Middle Qual Men Heat 3
Comment: This was one of the most interesting races at WOC – a bigger challenge than many suspected. The mistakes made to the first control were extraordinary. There was also a good combination between easier and tricky legs in the remainder of the course. Daniel Roos suggested this course, and his comment was: ” suggest WOC middle qualifier for its technical terrain and nice courses, a shame that the final didnt go in that area”.
|6. Antalya O-Days 3 – M21E
Comment: The terrain was epic – and this course has several interesting route choices and a good mix of different types of legs – but I guess it is the terrain which makes this course go all the way up to a 6th place.Riccardo Scalet suggested this course – and described both the terrain as the course as funtastic.
|7. JWOC Middle 2013 M20
Comment: A great course in a fantastic area – but it maybe misses a longer leg with real route choice options to change the rhythm for the runners? Matija Razum suggested this course – and his commet was “Finals started on even more trickier part, controls somewhere between many big stones. Continued with fast part and then at the end again same thing as in Q. Both course and terrain were amazing.”
|8. Kratovs O-Labyrinth
Comment: This o-technical training is in a different league than the other courses – but it is one of the most fun o-trainings I saw this year. Jissbacke suggested this course with the comment “My suggestion is O.Kratovs LLabyrinth-O. Looks like a really challenging training”.
|9. Finnish WOC selection race middle – women
Comment: A classic! I spent several hours analyzing this one, and I can say that this was a really challenging and varied course. The course setter really did his job here! Here are a few hundred mistakes from that race. Jeppe suggested this race.
|10. WOC Middle Final Men
Comment: A great middle distance course – which made for an interesting race. The WOC middle has nearly always been on the Top 10 list – this year in 10th place. Suggested by Jokuja with the comment: “I suggest WOC middle final. It was a really nice, challenging and technical orienteering in an outstanding terrain + a nice competition to follow for the spectators.”
- See all the nominated maps here (or as a slideshow)
- Intro article: Submit your suggestions to “Course of the Year 2013″
- Interview: Gueorgiou picks Matera sprint race
- Interview: Boström about Course of the Year 2013
- Edgars Bertuks: WOC, WOC, WOC …
- Course of the Year: Gustav Bergman shares many courses with us
- Jurenikova: Tiomila favourite course – set 75(!) courses in 2013
- Lena Eliasson: – Cruising around the bushes
Prizes from our Sponsors
Prizes from our Sponsors always makes it more fun! There will be a prize for the first one suggesting the course which ends up becoming “The course of the Year 2013″, and prizes drawn among the ones suggesting and voting. All prizes are transferable to other persons (you don’t have to travel yourself).
Event sponsor: Andalucia-O-Meeting – February 14th -16th 2014
- Prize offered: Competition Package for 2 persons – including entry to 4 AOM events in 3 days, 5 nights in 4**** Barcelo Punta Umbria Beach Resort and a 4-map training package before or after the event. Value about 640 Euro. Transferable to other persons.
- After 4 very nice years in Canos De Meca (Barbate), AOM moves to Punta Umbria, Huelva province, West of Andalucia! New terrains, maps, accommodations and, as usual, high level competitions in a very mild climate! More info at aom2014.com
Event sponsor: MOC 2014 – March 13th-15th
- Prize offered: Competition, training and hotel package for one person: Entry for one person at the 10th anniversary of MOC Mediterranean Orienteering Championship in Tuscany + MOC sprint training camp in Venice district + accommodation half boards for 7 nights. Value about 500 euro. Transferable to other persons.
- You are welcome in MOC- Tuscany 2014! The Mediterranean Open Championship Orienteering 2014 is organized March 13th – March 15th. Final stage in Florence, UNESCO city. Orienteering with a lot of fun. Great events with world class runners! Read more at www.orienteering.it and www.facebook.com/pwtorienteering.
Event sponsor: Bergen Sprint Camp – January 31st-February 2nd 2014
- Prize offered: 2 packages – each consisting of 2 complete Bergen Sprint Camp packages: Entry for all 4 races + training Friday morning + Saturday evening program consisting of presentation held by World Champion Mårten Boström and dinner. Value about 400 Euro. Transferable to other persons.
- For the 5th time in a row, BSC is held in the city center of Bergen, Norway. We provide all participants with challenging courses, good maps and interesting analysis of the sessions – hoping to improve the sprint orienteering technique for everyone. See more at Sprint-Camp.blogspot.no – including all courses and analysis from previous editions of BSC.
Event sponsor: 3+3 Sälen – June 27th-29th 2014
- Prize offered: 2 BIG training+competition packages – each for 2 persons consisting of: Entry for the complete 3+3 2014 competition week + maps for 8 different trainings during the training camp + TUBE from Bagheera from Fjällmaraton Sälen. Value about 380 Euro. Transferable to other persons.
- 3+3 is a 3 Day orienteering event organized by Malungs OK in Sälen. The event is famous for its open landscape above the “tree-level” and good drawn maps and excellent combination of orienteering and holidays. The 2014 edition returns to the Hundfjället terrain made famous during O-Ringen 2008. More at 3plus3.se
Event sponsor: Ilves-3 – May 2nd – 4th 2014
- Prize offered: 2 packages – each for 2 persons – consisting of: Accommodation for 2 nights in a nice guesthouse (including breakfast) and start fee for the 3 Day competition Ilves-3 in Estonia. Value about 350 Euro. Transferable to other persons.
- Ilves-3 is an awesome 3-day competition weekend on relevant terrain for WOC 2017 in Estonia. Welcome to everybody – from kids to veterans. Get to know Estonian orienteering! More to come at OKIlves.ee
Event sponsor: OOCup / Bubo Cup 2014 – July/August 2014
- Prize offered: 2 packages – each for 2 people – consisting of: Your choice of full entry to either complete 5 day Bubo cup competition or complete 5 days OOCup competition + small Slovenia training package consisting of up to 3 training maps. Value up to 300 euro. Transferable to other persons.
- OOCup is a 5 Day orienteering event organized annually in Slovenia. The event is famous for its Karst orienteering and excellent combination of orienteering and holidays. Bubo cup is the younger brother of OOCup – offering the same excellent orienteering experiences and quality you are used to from OOCup – but with a more relaxed attitude at the events. You can even manage both races with some rest in between. Bubo Cup is organized from July 24th – 28th 2014 – OOCup from August 1st – 5th 2014. More at www.bubocup.com/ and oocup.com
Event sponsor: Orievents /Training Camps, Alto Alentejo, Portugal
- Prize offered: Competition + training package for 2 persons, consisting of: Entry for NAOM 2014 – January 25th/26th 2014 + training camp (6 trainings) + 3 days of accommodation in half board at Castelo de Vide Hotel. Value about 270 euro. Transferable to other persons.
- Orievents / GD4C’s Training Camps “Alto Alentejo” are an excellent training opportunity for Orienteering of good quality during the winter. Start the new season in training camps in Alto Alentejo, Portugal! More at www.naom.pt and about the training camp at Orievents.
Event sponsor: Portugal O-Meeting – March 1st-4th 2014
- Prize offered: 2 packages – each one for 2 persons – consisting of: Entry fees for the 4 stages of POM 2014, model events, night sprint, trail-O and regional dinner. Value about 260 euro. Transferable to other persons.
- Portugal O’ Meeting is already a well-known established international event, normally reaching the highest average points in World Ranking Events, excluding the World Championships. 2014’s Edition will be held nearby Serra da Estrela, on low grounds but with high density of rocky elements in all stages. More info at pom.pt/en/
Event sponsor: North American Orienteering Championships 2014 – October 10th-13th 2014
- Prize offered: A full NAOC2014 Package for 1 person – transferable to other person. Including all three races (sprint, middle, long), accomodation (hardfloor or camping), all model maps, all training maps, food (3 hot breakfast, 3 hot dinners including banquet),transport to and from airport. Value approximately 200 Euro.
- This biennial event is the largest and the premiere orienteering event in North America. With national team spots on the line, the best in North America will be there. The host town Arnprior, just outside Canada’s National Capital – Ottawa, is situated on the stunning Ottawa river and we are working together to bring you the best in orienteering and more. Expect the best that North America has to offer and get ready to take control as Orienteering Ottawa welcomes the world from October 10th to 13th, 2014! More at www.naoc2014.ca
Event sponsor: 3 days of Trenches 2014 – May 31st-June 2nd 2014
- Prize offered: 3 packages – each for 2 people – consisting of: Entry for 3 competitions, sprint, middle WRE and long WRE. A full package of training maps on WOC 2014 training terrains + a shirt for the event. Value about 200 euro. Transferable to other persons.
- The “3 days of Trenches” competitions will be held on 31st May, 1st June and 2nd June 2014 between Trentino and Veneto. Many national teams will use these competitions as final selection races for WOC 2014 so there should be very strong fields. 2014 is a special year for the Asiago plateau because it is the Centenary since the beginning of the First World War. On the Middle and Long terrain all runners will cross a lot of trenches, military buildings and caves used 100 years ago. It will be possible to visit many historical sites. More at the event’s Facebook page: facebook.com/3days2014