Extraordinary performance by Simone Niggli – and another great win by Olav Lundanes! No matter if middle distance and long distance – Niggli and Lundanes take the gold medals. Niggli had four(!) minutes down to Tatiana Riabkina in second – Lundanes victory margin was one minute down to Matthias Merz. Minna Kauppi and Valentin Novikov took the bronze medals.
The runners were met by a tough course – with many route choice alternatives. The time differences between the different alternatives were not the biggest – the important thing was again to run fast and stick to your plan.
Men: – I have improved technically since last year
- Physically I had a very good winter training, and I also feel that I have improved technically since last year.
- It was a tough race today. In the beginning I felt good and was running fast. I started feeling tired half way through the race, and the last part was just a lot of fighting.
- The relay is a big goal for us on Sunday – but not more than the other races – We want to win them all.
- Obviously this type of terrain is not too bad for us Swiss. For me personally I feel it was mainly my general experience, which brought results today. It took only a few days of training here to feel quite comfortable with the terrain. But the terrain is unusual for us because we do not have this type of terrain at home
- For the relay we always have a big goal for a medal. For obvious reasons (home ground this year)the world champ relay is the main relay event for us this year.
- We have a big team, and the selection will be tough, but I am sure that this fact will help pushing us to great results
- I just decided that I should use full speed for this terrain and didn’t think too much about if it would be good enough for the whole race. Then I thought about it, and decided to continue with this high speed ;)
- The podium on the long is very important for me because the last few years I have not been so good in the long races in Champs. So this has given me a lot of confidence and from now on I also believe in myself on long distance
|1||Olav Lundanes||Norway||12:24:00||24:20 (1)||54:04 (1)||80:29 (1)||87:43 (1)||+00:00|
|2||Matthias Merz||Switzerland||13:24:00||25:32 (5)||55:30 (3)||81:43 (2)||88:48 (2)||+01:05|
|3||Valentin Novikov||Russia||11:48:00||24:41 (2)||54:20 (2)||81:43 (2)||89:13 (3)||+01:30|
|4||Anders Nordberg||Norway||13:42:00||24:52 (3)||55:32 (4)||82:32 (4)||90:09 (4)||+02:26|
|5||Marc Lauenstein||Switzerland||12:48:00||26:09 (15)||57:20 (6)||83:37 (5)||90:52 (5)||+03:09|
|6||Oleksandr Kratov||Ukraine||12:27:00||25:20 (4)||57:00 (5)||84:46 (6)||92:41 (6)||+04:58|
|7||Philippe Adamski||France||13:06:00||26:24 (24)||57:38 (9)||84:58 (7)||92:57 (7)||+05:14|
|8||Dmitry Tsvetkov||Russia||13:39:00||25:36 (6)||58:33 (19)||85:28 (10)||92:59 (8)||+05:16|
|9||Hans Gunnar Omdal||Norway||13:00:00||25:39 (8)||57:20 (6)||85:11 (8)||93:21 (9)||+05:38|
|10||Frédéric Tranchand||France||12:30:00||26:35 (26)||58:08 (14)||85:54 (11)||93:42 (10)||+05:59|
Women: – I could not have run many seconds faster
- Today I had an almost perfect race. It is not so often that I run this well in a championships race. It was physically and technically a very good race. I could not have run many seconds faster!
- Yes, I was more than 4 minutes faster today, but we are all just women that love orienteering. the diffence today was that I am in very good shape and also managed to have full confidence in my orienteering all the way.
- My goal for the week is to run four stable races. I have now two gold medals, and I am very happy.
- The race today was better than yesterday. I tried to go fast all the way. I believe that I chose good route choices today. I took the controls in the detailed areas without any mistakes. This felt very good. At the end of the race it was very tough and I was very tired, but I fought all the way.
- I have to say that my favourite distance is middle, but I also looking forward to the relay
- I am really happy for my medal today, actually. Of course you feel slightly disappointed by being this far behind Simone, but still I am really happy to be here [on the podium] today.
- The middle was my main goal for EOC this year, but I am also looking forward to the relay on Sunday. We have a very strong track record in relay and will of course go for the gold
|1||Simone Niggli||Switzerland||14:13:00||16:13 (1)||34:03 (1)||56:12 (1)||61:34 (1)||+00:00|
|2||Tatiana Ryabkina||Russia||14:10:00||17:33 (2)||36:23 (2)||59:55 (2)||65:34 (2)||+04:00|
|3||Minna Kauppi||Finland||14:04:00||17:41 (3)||37:06 (4)||60:55 (3)||66:08 (3)||+04:34|
|4||Tove Alexandersson||Sweden||13:55:00||17:50 (4)||36:50 (3)||62:07 (4)||67:21 (4)||+05:47|
|5||Annika Billstam||Sweden||13:04:00||18:57 (10)||38:34 (5)||63:23 (5)||69:10 (5)||+07:36|
|6||Tone Wigemyr||Norway||14:07:00||18:33 (6)||39:24 (8)||64:40 (6)||70:18 (6)||+08:44|
|7||Mari Fasting||Norway||13:46:00||18:58 (11)||39:14 (7)||65:00 (7)||70:41 (7)||+09:07|
|8||Lina Strand||Sweden||13:40:00||19:33 (17)||39:44 (9)||65:13 (8)||70:49 (8)||+09:15|
|9||Merja Rantanen||Finland||14:16:00||18:39 (7)||39:09 (6)||65:55 (9)||71:47 (9)||+10:13|
|10||Inga Dambe||Latvia||13:52:00||20:38 (26)||40:33 (13)||66:15 (10)||72:13 (10)||+10:39|