With more than 4000 unique votes given – and still one day to go – the 2012-edition is the largest in the history of “The Orienteering Achievement of the Year” contest. If you have not voted for your favourite yet, post your vote and be part of the drawing for prizes worth nearly 4000 Euros!
Teams can now also win the achievement of the year
Voting will close Monday December 10th at 23:59 CET!
2012 has been yet another year full of great orienteering achievements – and as we now are moving towards 2013, we follow the tradition and decide the greatest of achievements of the year. New this year based on many request: Teams can now also win the achievement of the year – this year three teams are among the nominees! The annual poll to find the best Orienteering Achievements of the year is organized by the major source for international orienteering news on the Internet – World of O.
In the vote for “The Orienteering Achievement of 2012″, the best achievement of the year is to be named – and not necessarily the best orienteer of 2012.
Great Sponsorprizes for “Lucky voters”!
Prizes valued to nearly 4000 Euro are drawn among lucky voters. The rules are as follows:
- A person can only vote once in each of the categories (if several people share one internet connection, only one can vote, as the IP address is used to identify the voter along with the email-address of the voter).
- Prizes from our sponsors will be drawn among all people voting.
- The winners will be made public after the poll closes at World of O.
Main sponsors for the Orienteering Achievement of 2012 is Sardinia Five + Five – offering a transferable prize valued to around 2000 Euro! Other sponsors are Danish Spring, Kopaonik Open, OOCup, Croatia Open, Sprint The Bay, Portugal O-Meeting – more info about these sponsors and what they have to offer in the sponsor presentation below!
On December 4th, all nominees are presented at World of O. The winner is decided in a vote amongst all the readers of World of O between Tuesday December 4th and Monday December 10th. The winners will be announced December 13th.
Spread the news
Help making the poll as representative for the international orienteering community as possible! Spread the news about the poll, by publishing an article about the election on your website, and encourage people participating. Please use this link:
Of all websites with on average more than 50 visitors/day who link to the poll after it has been opened for voting, three websites will be drawn who will get a free “Sponsored Link” at World of O. Websites with on average more than 200 visitors/day will count triple when linking to the poll. Send an email to Jan@Kocbach.net with the sites address if you want to be part of this draw for free sponsored links. Sponsored links may be to any orienteering related page or product – must necessarily by the website drawn.
Sites linking to the poll:
- Orienteering Canada
- Danish Orienteering Federation
- International Orienteering Federation
- Portuguese Orienteering Blog
- Latvian Orienteering Federation
- Edgars Bertuks
- Czech Orienteering Federation
- Czech National Team
- Emiliano Corona
- Scottish Orienteering
- Bergen Sprint Camp
- Norwegian Orienteering Federation
- Swedish Orienteering Federation
[Note! This list is from December 9th – see updated list at http://poll.worldofo.com]
These images may be used when writing about the poll:
Main sponsor: Sardinia Five + Five 2013- September 30th – October 10th 2013
- Prize offered: Package for 2 people consisting of entry fee for Sardinia Five+Five and 2 weeks accommodation in hotel B&B by PWT Italy – value about 2.000 euro
- Follow the Sun: 10 days of orienteering in beautiful Sardinia. – We have found a fantastic place at the small and picturesque city of Stintino, approximately 45 minutes driving north of Alghero airport. The wonderful beach La Pelosa (on the world’s top 10 list of best beaches) is also less than 2 km from our event center at Cala Rosa Club Hotel. More at Sardinia Five+Five webpage
Event sponsor: Danish Spring 2013- March 16th-17th 2013
- Prize offered: Package for 2 people consisting of start in all 3 races with accommodation 2 nights in double room at 4-star Hotel Hillerød – Total value is around 485 Euro
- Danish Spring takes place north of Copenhagen the 16 – 17 March 2013. It is an international spring premiere for the elite and everyone else, who can’t wait to get back in the woods after a long winter. Danish Spring is an intense weekend with one individual WRE mass start, one night relay and one day relay. See more at Danishspring.dk.
Event sponsor: Kopaonik Open – July 16th-21st 2013
- Prize offered: Event package for 3 persons containing entry, accommodation (in four bed studios or apartments, from Monday 15th- Sunday 21st og July), training, event T-shirt and participation in organized hiking tours with guide.
- Already for the 12th time in a row, “Kopaonik open 2013″ orienteering international championships will be held on Kopaonik, from 16th to 21st of July. For 6 competition days we have prepared 6 stages on 6 new maps. Come and enjoy orienteering on this “mountain of sun”. See more at the Kopaonik Open webpage.
Event sponsor: Croatia Open 2013 – July 23rd-28th 2013
- Prize offered: “Family” package consisting of entry, accommodation and training package for 4 persons (5 competitions, 4 trainings in training package, accommodation in sport hall)
- Croatia Open is a 5 day orienteering race – offering you different types of terrain from extreme karst to mediteranean and continental terrain. “Croatia open” attracts more than 1000 competitors from 40 countries offering you great orienteering holiday – combining orienteering with holidays on the Adriatic coast. See more at the Croatia Open webpage.
Event sponsor: COCup 2013 – July 26th-30th 2013
- Prize offered: “Family” package consisting of entry for 4 persons for the complete OOCup 2013 competition week.
- OOCup is a 5 Day orienteering event organized annually in Slovenia. The event is famous for its Karst orienteering and excellent combination of orienteering and holidays. See more at the OOCup webpage.
Event sponsor: Sprint The Bay 2013 – January 15th-17th 2013
- Prize offered: A package consisting of “2x Full Entries to STB 2013 + 2x Event T-Shirts”
- Dirty D Sprint the Bay is a series of 6 sprint orienteering events (both urban and non-urban) run over 3 days in the lovely sunny Hawkes Bay in New Zealand. Sprint the Bay 2013 is an official supporting event of the World Cup/Oceania Carnival. See more at the STB 2013 webpage
Event sponsor: POM 2013- February 9th – 12th 2013
- Prize offered: 2 packages, each consisting of entry fee + official dinner for 2 persons for complete POM 2013 (4 Days, 2 Model events, 2 Sprints and one official dinner)
- The Portugal “O” Meeting has become the international season opener for the world elite and hundreds of other orienteers spending a week or two in the Portugal in February and March. See more info at the POM 2013 webpage.
Orienteering Achievement of 2011
The winners from the Orienteering Achievement of 2011 were Thierry Gueorgiou and Ida Bobach.
Orienteering Achievement of 2010
The winners from the Orienteering Achievement of 2010 were Olav Lundanes and Simone Niggli. Help decide who will win “The Orienteering Achievement of 2011″.