Thierry Gueorgiou and Dana Brozkova took the gold medals in todays World Orienteering Champs middle distance. – My first middle distance victory since last year in Olomouc, a very happy Gueorgiou said after receiving his Gold medal. Brozkova has also not been on the top the since winning gold in the long distance last year.
– I have had many problems with injuries the last year. Only the last 14 days I have started to feel better, says Brozkova.
Tricky terrain – bad runnability
Todays courses were quite tricky – many runners lost their medal possibilities by doing mistakes in the Hungarian forest. – It was very though running in this forest, Gueorgiou said after his race. There were lots of trees lying on the ground – making runnability bad.
Below you see the maps for men and women. The same terrain will also be used for the relay on Friday.
1. Gueorgiou Thierry (FRA) 37:14
2. Hubmann Daniel (SUI) 37:43
3. Merz Matthias (SUI) 38:10
4. Mueller Matthias (SUI) 38:45
5. Gonon François (FRA) 38:48
6. Andersson David (SWE) 39:09
1 .Brožková Dana (CZE) 37:09
2. Andersen Mariann (NOR) 37:19
3. Niggli Simone (SUI) 37:58
4. Kauppi Minna (FIN) 38:21
5. Rantanen Merja (FIN) 38:59
6. Jansson Helena (SWE) 39:08
WOC 2009 LiveBlog
The WOC 2009 LiveBlog was a good place to follow WOC Middle online today. You can replay some of the action below. There is also a mobile version of the LiveBlog here.