Set up your personal Top 5 List from the 82(!) nominated courses – and win prizes worth around 1400 Euros from our sponsors! The nominated maps have been chosen based on submissions from the WorldofO.com readers and some of the worlds top orienteers through the last weeks. Now YOU can choose “The Course of the Year 2012″ through your vote!
Do your best, and help the courses and course-setters you think deserve it towards the top
Voting is done by setting up your “Top 5 List” based on the nominated maps. Based on all the submitted “Top 5 Lists”, the best course in 2012 is found using a simple formula: For each 1st spot in a “Top 5 List”, a course gets 100 points, 70 points for each 2nd spot, 50 points for each 3rd spot, 30 points for each 4th spot and 10 points for each 5th spot. [Note: Originally it was planned to reduce the number of courses to choose from to 40-50 courses, but although some could obviously be removed, there were still a lot of good courses left, so it’s up to you to decide – now the number is 82!]
Voting closes Wednesday November 28th
Voting is open from Friday November 23rd until Wednesday November 28th. When voting you will notice that it is not easy to set up a “Top 5 List”, as none of the courses are perfect. Still – do your best, and help the courses and course-setters you think deserve it towards the top!
Prizes from sponsors make it more fun to be in on the suggestions and voting: MOC 2013 + PWT Matera is the main sponsor with a package worth 600 Euros. Other event sponsors are Orievent training camps, Bubo Cup, Fjord-o Arctic Midnattsolgaloppen, and Nice Holidays. See all details about the sponsors & prizes below – about 1400 Euros worth of prizes!
Note! There may be issues in some browsers with the voting process, but the voting should work well in most newer browsers (but not on mobile phones). Sorry to those of you with old browsers, but the drag-and-drop makes it so much easier for people to set up their list.
Previous winners and interviews with top stars about Course of the Year 2012
- Results Course of the Year 2011
- Results Course of the Year 2010
- Intro-article: “Submit your suggestions”. Read reasons for why courses are suggested in the comments here
- See all the nominated courses here
- Østerbø: – Long legs with complex route choices
- Gueorgiou: – Portugal O-Meeting or Silva League …
- Dlabaja: – An experience like from another planet
- Tove Alexandersson takes us to Kazakhstan!
- Jurenikova picks a Finnish course for Course of the Year!
- Prochazka: – It is a Czech Orienteering Paradise!
Prizes from our Sponsors
Prizes from our Sponsors always makes it more fun! There will be a prize for the first one suggesting the course which ends up becoming “The course of the Year 2012″, and prizes drawn among the ones suggesting and voting. All prizes are transferable to other persons (you don’t have to travel yourself).
- Prize offered: Hotel + entry package for 2 persons (4 nights accommodation in Hotel Formula B&B + entry fee for MOC 2013+PWT in Matera, value about 600 Euro).
- LET’S ROCK in MOC- Matera 2013! The Mediterranean Open Championship Orienteering 2013 is organized March 15th – March 17th. Great events with world class runners!Read more
- Prize offered: Training package with accommodation for 2 persons (6 trainings + 3 days of accommodation in half board at Castelo de Vide Hotel)
- Orievents / GD4C’s Training Camps – Alto Alentejo – are an excellent training opportunity for Orienteering of good quality during the winter. The TC will have the technical support of Eva Jurenikova. Start the new season in training camps in Alto Alentejo, Portugal! Read more
- Prize offered: “Family” entry package (Entry for 4 persons for complete Bubo cup, transferable to other people)
- Bubo cup is a new 5 Day orienteering event in Slovenia – with the same quality you are used to from OOCup. The 5 day event taking place from 19th to 23rd of July 2013 will take you through some great orienteering areas in the western part of Slovenia – from Karst terrain above the world famous Postojna cave to the Trnovski gozd plateau (which was the venue of unforgetably tough OOCup 2011). The venue of the mid stage will be Vipava, an old little town in Vipava valley. Read more
- Prize offered: Entry package for 2 persons (Entry for 2 persons for complete Fjord-O Arctic week)
- Fjord-o Arctic Midnattsolgaloppen is the biggest and most popular event which is regularly organized north of the polar circle. Fjord-o is known for its mix of interesting orienteering with spectacular nature between fjords and mountains. Fjord-o 2013 is organized from June 29th until July 3st 2013. This year it will take place in the Harstad-region. Read more
- Prize offered: 2 packages – each consisting of entry fee + accommodation for 2 persons (Entry fee + accommodation in campsite for 2 persons)
- Nice holidays are traditional 2-days, 3-stages orienteering competition organised by TJ Turnov orienteering club in beautiful sandstone terrains of Bohemian Paradise since 1992. Come to the Czech Republic and enjoy challenging middle distance, tricky sprint and tough long distance in hilly sandstone terrain. We are looking forward to seeing you from 23rd to 25th August 2013 in Turnov, Czech Republic. The competition has a limit of competitors set by natural park management usually to max 1000 runners. This year it was sold out in two months. Read more