Hint: It is not in Europe! Can you guess which country this map is from? The WorldofO Christmas O-Quiz gives you one map sample each day from December 1st until December 24th. You get one point for each day you guess the correct country for the map sample – can you make it all the way to 24?
Fill out your name, e-mail address and your guess for the country below! For a given day, only answers given between 05:00 CET and 23:59 CET on that day will be counted in the overall score. That means that even if you fill out the form on a later day, your answer will not be counted… You are only allowed to answer ONCE each day!
Correct answer yesterday: USA!
The classic WOC 1993 map – Surebridge Mountain. I hope you didn’t miss this one? Check out this story about Surebridge Mountain – and dream away! See the WOC 1993 map below – or rather take a look at this map which today’s map clip was actually cropped from.
I saw this map many times, but where?? Yes! In the toilets of a friends
This was really supposed to be an easy one. One of the real classic classics out there – and even presented for 101 Orienteering maps. Some comments/fun-facts here:
- I saw this map many times, but where?? Yes! In the toilets of a friends :D I guess LD WOC’93! [Guess: United States. Thanks Beni]
- Surebridge mountain, that’s for sure! [Guess: United States. That’s for sure, yes Thomas]
- WOC 1993. Originally drawn by hand on plastics. Probably Steve Key used an opac-pen, I sent him, to cover screened (rasterized?) areas. Opac-pen instead of black ink. [Guess: United States. Thanks Cha]
- After 4 wrong, let’s start the right answers again [Guess: Norway. Nope Mariana, I guess that makes it 5…]
- Here, interestingly, Allan Mogensen won the first and only individual gold medal for the Danish men up to this day. My father ran the 1993 World Championships, all I remember is that he brought back some Snickers – we didn’t have anything like that in post-Soviet Estonia and the evening he came back is still seared into my memory. I hope I got the answer right, otherwise the text would be a little bit of an embarrasment. [Guess: United States. Thanks Timo – perfect answer]
- I see a lot of bare-rock gray, so surely can’t be Sweden ;-) . Just enough sense of steepness to the contours that I’ll go for Norway over Finland, ….so it will probably turn out to be one of those legendary North American morraine areas! [Guess: Norway. Yep, it was one of those, Nic :)]
- WOC ’93 legendary terrain. Allan Mogensen and Marita Skogum win long distance in the cold rain. Ran there, too. [Guess: United States. Thanks Rolf!]
- Once time Chris Terkelsen told me about this map:”One of the best races I’ve ever run” [Guess: United States. Thanks manudona]
- Nordic countries were ruled out because of the obscure vegetation. WOC 1993 was a rather obvious pick! :) [Guess: United States. Thanks juho]
- Am I going to give correct answer only for the home country maps? [Guess: Norway. For now it looks like it. You’ve got to get out traveling more :)]
- Oh that was easy one :) best map from Catching Features :) [Guess: United States. Thanks Doobas]
- Well, that was perhaps a little bit too easy.. Surebridge Mountain, Woc 1993 area [Guess: United States. Thanks Alan:)]
- Maybe Finland but I want to guess on the USA :) [Guess: United States. Thanks Puttemans – that’s right]
- I guess Norway (though I’ve never been there): marshes at each height level, steep parts, semi-open parts, rocks. [Guess: Norway. Nope, Peggy, unfortunately that was wrong again]
- That was easy :) [Guess: United States. Thanks Topi]
- classical classic! [Guess: United States. Thanks MH]
- West Point, Surbridge mountain… this was easier again. Mostly because I’ve been training on this map 2 months ago! [Guess: United States. Thanks Yannick]
- More easy when one has been on the map. And your comment helped too : WOC 1993 is definitely a classic. [Guess: United States. Thanks Tatam]
- Easiest so far! [Guess: United States. Thanks Arekrist!]
- It doesn’t look very Norwegian but I think you are cheating us… [Guess: Norway. Good try Kell, but I’d never cheat you:)]
Not all of you hit the jackpot on Day 8 – here is the overview over tips: